Monday, July 13, 2009

Lots to Talk About

Print This Post





The days of summer pass too quickly. We are half-way through "Christmas in July" and heading towards the Quilter's yard-sale. If you are ahead of schedule and working on Christmas projects, stop in for great deals on fabric, kits and patterns. All Christmas fabrics and kits are 10% off and books and patterns for Christmas are 15% off. We have samples of several of the new lines to inspire you even in the hot days of summer. Also new layer cakes from Moda. "Aviary" by 3 Sisters, "Neptune" by Tula Pink, "Hushabye" by Tula Pink, "Swanky" by Chez Moi. We also have "Hushabye" and "Arcadia" in charm packs. New lines from Studio E include "Deja Brew" and "Nature-ology". From Windham Fabrics, a great new line commemorating the "Buffalo Bill Historical Center" in Cody, Wyoming called "Wild West". If you have not been to this museum, put it on your must see list. We have "Picnic Parade" a new Free Spirit, "About Town" a new Robert Kaufman and for fall, new from South Sea Imports, "Nature's Bounty"






We are getting very close to the start of the "Quilt Minnesota" shop hop. This event runs from July 31st to August 16Th. The fabric is very "Minnesota" and I can't imagine being from this state and not wanting something for the cabin, the camper or the family room out of this fabric. Here at "Seams Like Home" Melissa has samples of a large pillow, a quick pillowcase and a fantastic year-round tote. Please see photos. During the event we will be open 7 days a week, all shops will be open M-Sat. 10am-5pm and Sunday Noon-5pm. Grab a friend or take some much needed "just me" time and hit the road. A convertible is optional but would sure be fun! If you don't have a "top-down", put in your favorite travel CD, crank up the air and sing at the top of your lungs. Stop in to pre-order your fabric, we will cut it, package it up and it will be ready for you the 31st.






I intended to write about our trip to Boise but I think Melissa spoke for the family. In many ways it was something much bigger than words. I remember many years ago while vacationing in Grand Marais, we were eating at "Trail Center"( a restaurant Mike told me about where the fire guys would go when working in the area, another put on your must see list) anyhow I was lamenting about all those in the family that were working or whatever and not there with us and wishing they were, when my Dad said something I never forgot, he said "I'm just glad I'm here" and the truth of that has never left me. Sometimes it's just enough, that you are there. Fourteen of us went to Idaho to represent Mike. We made a memory. My 80 year old Dad stood up in a crowded auditorium of grieving Firefighter families and when it was our turn he said in a loud, clear voice words he never wanted to say under these circumstances. "We are here for Mike Breeggemann". We went to Boise searching for some peace, Boise did not let us down. God Bless the Wildland Firefighter Foundation, they are doing his work.


This is the week that my Mom and 8-9 of her best girl friends vacation on the shores of beautiful Sturgeon Lake. They have been coming here for as many years as I can remember. They pile in a couple of vans loaded with food, clothes, cards and cocktails. They will laugh, play cards, eat, visit all the local sights and sun themselves on the lake. What they do best for each other though is listen. These women have seen each other through all that life is, both the good and the unbearable. They are in their 60's, 70's and soon to be 80's. Their group started out known as the "Sassy Lassie Homemakers". They are not ashamed of this. That is what and who they are. They made homes for husbands, passels of kids and themselves. I am a grateful recipient of their sacrifices. May they travel safely. They are the Matriarchs of many.


And finally this. Today is the 27Th birthday of my youngest daughter Heidi. Heidi is a child of the "break dancing" generation. When she was four, I am not even kidding you she had a dance routine that would send people into peals of laughter. To say she was a ham would be an understatement. She is a "glass-half-full" person and feels things on the deepest level with as much soul as you can pack into one person. I consider her one of my closest friends and best confidantes. Her son Nolan shows all indications that he will be Heidi-the next generation. I always thought guardian angels that helped give you strength were older, but I know for a fact I have seven that stay with me each and everyday. Happy Birthday Babe! Till next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment