Monday, May 4, 2009

Everything goin'on at once!

Print This Post
This past Saturday was busy! Melissa ran the "10K Moose Run" in Moose Lake. The weather was great and it is good to have this race back in action after one year off. Lots of runners, lots of volunteers and from what I could see a successful day. As a former participant in this race for many years, I send a big high five to the planning commitee. Good Job! Melissa is an effortless runner and has embraced running with enthusiasm. She will be the first to say that her brother Mike is her running inspiration, Mike ran daily for fitness, a Wildland Firefighter can owe his life to being in shape and being fast when needed. No one would be prouder of Melissa's racing and running than Mike.

After the race it was run home and head to the newest family business "The Happy Scizzor". The relatives were all here from the Metro area to "check out" the new shop and get glammed up in the process.

Today I am at "work". Looks as tho the Quilt Shop was very busy over the weekend too. Wendy and Jane were working and Melissa and I so appreciate this capable duo who come in and pinch hit when the two of us both need to be gone. Along with Deb who also fills in for us we occasionally get to go to the same events. Many Thanks!

This will be a busy week. Kicked off with Block of the Month, then on to Thimbleberries Club, pillowcase class on Wednesday and Saturday. Don't forget class sign-up day on Saturday, discount for earlybird sign-up. Our "Mother's Day Sale" is Saturday also. 15% off all in-stock patterns and books, 10% off all fabric cuts of one or more yards. Shop for your Mom, daughter, daughters-in-law or yourself!

Well I better get sewing, before I go I wanted to tell you. I went to the mailbox last week and when I opened it I had recieved a handwritten letter. I cannot tell you how much pleasure this gave me. In this world of e-mail, texting and cell phones, hand written correspondence has fallen by the wayside. I myself am a letter writer. I started writing letters seriously in the 80's after the death of my Grandpa. I would write long letters to my Grandma hoping that something I had to say would for a short time help her deep sadness. As I look back I think what I was really doing was writing to help my deep sadness. Whatever the reason it started me writing. I challenge you all, today, pick up a pen and write someone a letter. The paper doesn't matter, the length doesn't matter, what matters is this. Say the words you hear in your head when you think of this person. Tell them that story, the words from your head, that you can feel in your heart. Do it. You will always be glad you did.

And this: My Son Mike is going to be recognized and honored in Boise, Idaho this Spring. The "Wildland Firefighters Monument" is located there on the grounds of the Interagency Dispatch Center. A marker will be placed for Mike with his name, the designation that he is from Minnesota and the name of his crew, "Black Mountain Hotshots". Mike's family will stand as the representatives for Mike when his name is called among the names of the other men and women of fire that will be honored for the year 2009. I cannot even tell you how much he is missed.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment