Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Show me the way to go home!

Print This Post
A photo collage of the 1st Annual Seams Like Home Quilt Retreat at the beautiful and historic Musser Mansion. We gathered our quilting friends and arrived at the mansion just ahead of this winter's coldest temps. When we heard that International Falls recorded a temp of 49 below Friday morning we were all glad to be snug and warm indoors. The mansion did not disappoint. The furnishings were beautiful, the sewing space was turn of the century and fun, the bedroom accommodations were spectacular. The house simply breathes history. We were all fascinated by the written stories and many of us said that in no time at all, the "house" made us feel right at home. We will venture there again in April and I can't wait to see the grounds coming alive in the spring. Saturday night dinner with candlelight on the porch over-looking the Mississippi River was a memory of good food, good wine, lasting friendships and memories made. It is really the reason we go on retreats, isn't it?
I wanted to show you some new "inspiration" here at the shop.
The panel fabric is "Patchwork Gardens"by Pat Williams for South Seas Imports.
The table topper and table runner are both created with the "Giddy" line of fabric by Sandy Gervais for Moda. The table runner pattern is a "Bakeshop Original" from the Moda website and the table topper pattern is "Happy Holidays" from Atkinson Designs. I loved this pattern in Fall and Christmas fabrics and it looks equally good dressed up for spring.
The coffee print in turquoise and brown is "Java" by Deb Strain for Moda. I just finished place mats in the last coffee print line we had but there is always room for more!
Finally also new at the shop is "Pound Hounds" by RJR. O.K. seriously, even if you don't own a dog, how can you not love this fabric.
If you haven't joined a "Groovy Girls" class now is the time to call the shop. We have gone to four sessions to accommodate everyone. The projects are quick, cute and generally finished in one night. In a craft where many of our projects take many months, who doesn't love that.
February brings our annual retreat to Woodland Beach resort. Book club meets the 10Th. Crazy Quilt class is the 21st and just when you thought you had all the projects you can hold, we are knitting socks starting the 21st. Join our master knitter Kathy as she walks us through knitting socks on circular needles. Class will meet the 21st of Feb., the 14Th of March and the 4Th of April.
And then there's this: Yesterday I was having a conversation with my daughter about upcoming events, dates I was supposed to remember, places I needed to be etc. I had forgotten most of them, had others written down wrong and generally felt completely unorganized. It reminded me of a day last summer when I was outside with my grand-son. He was driving our small battery operated car across the front yard and talking to himself. He was saying "where am I goin?" "what am I doin?" It is exactly the way I was feeling.
This is what I know:In this fast paced world of jobs, appointments and commitments it is easy to over-book, over-schedule and say yes when you really mean no. We all have many responsibilities and people who count on us not to forget things. The two retreats I have just come home from allowed me to re-charge and try to get back on track. These groups of women feed a need to connect with others as friends. Just that, friends. We encourage each other, support each other, lean on each other and give each other hope. They cut down on the days where we think to ourselves....."where am I goin?" and "what am I doin?"
Till next time!








No comments:

Post a Comment