Thursday, April 15, 2010

And the winners are!

Print This Post
The wrap-up meeting for this years "Loon Country Shop-Hop" was held last evening and this years winners were picked.
We would like to congratulate Susan from Rush City as the winner of this year's Pfaff sewing machine. Julie from Mora the winner of the sewing retreat at Pine Needle Quilting Company. Elsie from Moose lake, the winner of Fabric, Fashions and More's gift basket. Beverly from Aitkin the winner of Country caboose Quilts gift basket. Barb from Wyoming, the winner of Timeless Treasures gift basket and Pat from Princeton, the winner of the gift basket from here at Seams Like Home. We extend our sincere thanks to the roughly 110 quilters who completed their passports and dedicated their weekend to "hopping" with us.

The photos are upcoming classes. The tote is"Bali Bags" from Aunties Two made with covered clothesline and fabric scraps. The class will be April 26 5:30-8:30. Fee is $6.00 plus materials and supplies. The class will also feature projects from "It's a Wrap" by Susan Brier for That Patchwork Place.
The clothesline bag is "Wash Day Clothespin Bag" by Darlene Zimmerman. Class is April 29Th 5:30-8:30. Fee is $6.00 plus materials and pattern($9.00).
And then there's this: The buttons you see on the tote bag were taken from my Grandma S' button tin. Melissa has it here at the shop and when a project is made that we intend to keep, we go to the button tin for embellishments. My Grandmothers were adults in the depression years. They were a seamstress ,a quilter, home decorators and always very fashionable. They were also thrifty, removing buttons from garments when they were past prime. I am drawn to women that show the strength my Grandmothers always modeled. This brings me to my friend Betty. Betty will proudly tell you she is 87. She has been my friend for over 15 years. When I worked for the school district the job I had was her job. When she retired I was lucky enough to try to fill her shoes. Betty stopped at the shop today to purchase some supplies. When she was ready to leave she paused and questioned me if she has paid for her purchase. I assured her she had and then she told me she is having a hard time struggling with some minor forgetfulness.
This is what I know: For the past three years , four months and as many days Betty has been my friend with a relentlessness I am not sure I earned. When Mike was killed her heart broke too, for a young man that she felt so much pride in knowing and for me her dear friend. She has sent me letters filled with deep emotion and words of strength. She writes me poetry, bakes me treats, calls on the phone and when I don't or can't answer she leaves messages of encouragement and love. She hugs me frequently, holds my hand and prays for me, Marty and the girls. On Betty's worst day, she is the best friend a person could ask for. I simply love her. I hope you have a "Betty" in your life too.
Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment