Monday, April 27, 2009

Mom signs on!

Print This Post Well, here I go. This falls under the category of "jumping off the dock". Melissa has invited me to blog along side her and although I am honored, there is a feeling of do I have anything to say that others want to listen to? I can navigate the computer pretty well but some things continue to elude me ie: adding pictures, but I will learn.
I can't begin this journey without telling you a story. Four years ago when Melissa opened this shop, I had no idea that the Seams Like Home Family would grow like it has and having said that I certainly never thought that like all families do, they would support us on the good days and stay with us through the worst. I am the Mother of four children. Melissa is the oldest followed by Mike, Katie and Heidi. Two years and five months ago, my son, Melissa's brother was killed in an accident. Mike's death launched all of us on a grief journey that none of us were prepared for. We had not packed, we had no map. The english language fails when an attempt is made to put words to this grief. I would compare it like this. You have planned a trip your whole life. A place you want to live, maybe Minnesota, even Australia. You have done your research, trained, prepared. You are optimistic and hopeful, heading toward your destination, the wonderful place where your dreams reside. Suddenly and without any warning you find yourself in say Bosnia. A war torn country where you know no one, you don't speak the language and you understand in the deepest place that this is where you now live and you will never go back to the place you were. The Seams Like Home family and this community at large continue to lay down trail for the new destination I will someday find. I tell you this because I can only write from where I am. I know that I am not alone. Many of our customers share stories of their own, some of them about trips they plannned for a lifetime and others like me, that got shuttled to a place they have never been. Seams Like Home took on a job it may never have seen on opening day. This is a place of creativity, hope, healing and understanding. It is also a place of joy, laughter, hugs and acceptance. You are welcome here any time.
Don't doubt yourself. Just "jump off the dock" Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment